Followers

Translate

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Asheville Half Marathon and a View of Breezemont

Buddy and the Asheville Half Marathon

This past weekend we went to Asheville, North Carolina, to their annual half marathon. I told you all that the race was going to run right in front of my old home up in the Manor Grounds, so here are a few of the photos taken that day. Here are a few fun facts: In 1965, we paid $39,000.00 for this home overlooking the Smoky Mountains. Our house payment was $130.00 a month, and we were buying it directly from the family who sold it to us. I don't think you all even want to hear what it went for the last time it sold...definitely out of my price bracket. My, how times have changed! I was so happy to see it looking so beautiful and decorated for the festivities. If any of you are interested in the historical pictures of this place, here is the link to the collection at the University of North Carolina at Asheville.





Buddy celebrated his 60th birthday on the Sept. 12th 
and ran the half marathon on the Sept. 15th ~ 3 hours 13 minutes :-)
The Route
Start and Finish Arch
Biker Pacers at the Front

Pacer with His Baby in the Carrier

Bud Checking out the iPhone

Balloons were placed according to race times for the runners
 to gather prior to the race.

Each group had its own Pace Runner. This was Bud's. She tried her best to get me to do the 5 mile walk, but I declined. 

Quite the Clever Sign


Asheville Is Definitely Cherokee  Territory

Bud Is Off

Beer Truck at the End  
Since Bud does not partake, I got to enjoy the brewskies.

This post is linked with Lesley's Signs2 and Shadow Shot Sunday 2.

20 comments:

  1. Love the house! What a great way to celebrate the big 60.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a gorgeous house and an unbelievable price you got it for back then (by today's standards, anyway)! Congratulations to Buddy and Happy belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is awesome. first congrats and happy birthday to buddy! and wow, what a grand house!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics and wow, what a gorgeous house! (I was going to say "grand" but Tex already said it :)

    It looks as if you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you had as much fun as Bud--love your old home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love all the windows at your old home. i'm all for natural light. great shots at the marathon. a friend of mine has been inviting me to run with her--but she's running 10K, i can only run 1 mile! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely house, I would have had a hard time letting it go.
    I've been to a few marathons to watch my sons run, I prefer the people watching to the running.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, I love this great story, great pictures. My wife is also a runner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful home!

    I love the shot of the race route

    congrats to the runners and Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunning house Genie - I love it and it looks like a great place to live. Congratulations to Buddy for completing the 1/2 Marathon. It looks like it was very well organized and a most popular event.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That was your house?!
    Congrats to Buddy - for birthday and race!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to Buddy! Wow that seems like fantastic time. And happy belated b-d too (what a way for him to celebrate.)

    I'm in awe that you used to live in that house -- and the cost back then, wow.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful way to celebrate - I don't have knees to run ... wish I could - it looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What? You got Bud's beer, even though you didn't run? Well... :)

    Hummingbird Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great captures for the day! Beautiful house! I can only imagine what the price is today!!! And a very Happy Birthday to Bud!! May he have many more! Fun post! Hope you both have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Belated happy bday, Bud...

    Cool to see a middle age man still fit for fight.

    Great job.

    Happy SSS,
    /CC

    ReplyDelete
  17. That house is stunning - perched on a hill and with those walls of windows the views of the Smokey's outstanding. Asheville has a rep for $$, so alas for msot of us a dream...the runners and walkers love to have a reason, such as a good cause, to cover those 13 miles. Cool shots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So much character and style in that house! Looking up to the house highlights its huge presence in the landscape! And Bud certainly looks as if he is enjoying the race! Great smile!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wish I could run a marathon. Belated happy birthday to Buddy.


    Family Shadow
    Have a blessed Sunday.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like a wonderful day for a run - great shots from the run.
    It is hard sometimes going back to see old homes - yours looks lovely.
    Thanks so much for the lovely comments you left!

    ReplyDelete