Followers

Translate

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Christmas Presents Underway

Every year I come up with a new idea for my homemade Christmas presents. This year I am making napkins/hand towels...however you want to use them.  For some I am using long 2 1/2 strips of fabric, and on others 9 - 2 1/2 inch squares sewn together and attached alone the hem about 2 inches up. I ordered the napkins from Amazon, but unfortunately the 100% cotton ones really wrinkles. They may need to be ironed before using each time...UGH! The second back I ordered were cotton and polyester mixed, and they were thicker and after preaching they dried out without any wrinkles...WOO~HOO. I have 24 of each kind...a total of 48 in al...and I still have 22 more to complete. I used white thread so the underside would look better...all white. For the pictures, I folded the napkins in different way so I could get more together to photograph.
Here are some of the ones I have finished so far:


 Contrasting Solids


 Red Quilting Squares


 Blue Quilting Squares 



 Pastel Colored Quilting Squares 


This shows you the length of the towels. They are folded into thirds.
 There are irregularities in the sizing of the 100% cotton ones after prewashing and drying..

These are waiting to be made. The fabric strips are Mary Engelbreit fabrics ~ one set of four in red and white fabrics and the other set is green and white fabrics. They are so cute and festive.
With these I think I am going to use white thread on the spool and red on the bobbin.
Will do a trial run to be sure it looks ok. Gotta have the tension correct or it will be a mess.


Here is an example package of precut coordinated fabrics like the ones I used.

A BIG HUG and SUPER BIG THANKS go out to the very talented Amanda Jean. Her fabulous blog is Crazy Mom Quilts. It is filled with tutorials and lots of little things you can make plus quilts. On her post celebrating the 9th birthday of her blog earlier in November, she asked us all to leave her a comment telling her about the things we had made where we had gotten the idea from her blog. Well, this is only one of MANY  of her things I have made, and I plan to post more in the days to come. So sorry Amanda Jean that I did not make it it before the cut off time to post to your blog, but I am giving you credit now. I had just made so many of your things that I ran out of time putting the post all together. I have learned so much from you.

This post is linked to Amanda Jean and her wonderful blog, Crazy Mom Quilts.
Congratulations on your 9th Birthday 
and ALL the beautiful things you have made durning that time.
in that nice years.


11 comments:

  1. What beautiful presents and so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So busy! Herzlich Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, you are so talented. that is great. have fun Genie, i bet all your friends & family will love those. way cool. so rainy here. have a great week. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  4. It´s lovely to make your own gifts for christmas. And you create gorgeous ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are going to have some pretty happy gift recipients!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very plain, yet mind blowing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I really like these. So cute and I swear every time they are used, people will feel the love. I like them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s.--looking forward to see what all you have made from the other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some people are going to be very lucky this Christmas. I love hand made napkins Genie, I have some linen ones that I've had for years, they wash up well and and I don't even mind ironing them : because they look so lovely.

    ReplyDelete