Followers

Translate

Saturday, April 21, 2012

A New Look at the Buchanan Swinging Bridge

This week I am sharing with you the Buchanan, VA, Swinging Bridge which I posted last year, but this time it is spring rather than winter and my little Eloise is with me. If you have the time, be sure to go to Erin Henderson’s "The Good Life in Virginia." to see some magnificent shots of the bridge. I promise you it will be worth your time. Never in my lifetime will I be able to take and post pictures of that quality. This wonderful bridge dates back before the Civil War. During the war it was destroyed but built back on its original pilings.

Last  Tuesesday I put Eloise in the car and headed off for the swinging bridge and the zoo in Roanoke. I will always remember this day because it was on our way home that evening )after eating dinner in town at her favorite restaurant)  that we saw the huge fire ball up on the mountain up above the house. That was the night that Eloise slept in her shoes so she could get out fast if we were told to evacuate. FYI....the Rich Hole Fire is now contained and no longer a danger to any of us. No lives or homes were lost. I am hoping that all the other four are under full control .

These photos were taken once we had crossed the bridge to see the train tracks and were heading back. That way the light was better. The car bridge is up and off to the left. They are all SOOC.
Eloise has finally gotten used to me always taking pictures of her.

Here she is truckin’ right along. This bridge is so sturdy that you HAVE  to  force it to swing to feel the movement...my kind of swinging bridge. You can see the car bridge in this photo.

This is the end by the little town of Buchanan, VA. For some reason it really slants down on the right side. It is worse getting on the bridge than getting off because for some reason you feel more off balance.

She was reading the sign that says nothing but “walkers” 
are allowed on the bridge.

This post is linked with Sunday Bridges, Sunday SOOC, and Shadow Shot Sunday 2.

33 comments:

  1. she is a cutie. i am SO glad to hear the fire nearest to you is out!!! hurray!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the fires are getting taken care of. She looks so little on that bridge. Very cute pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos. The little girl seems to be having a good time.
    I have only been across one swinging bridge in my life. It was in Cherokee, North Carolina. I did not like it at all. It moved way to much for me. My husband (ex-husband now) would make it sway on purpose, made our little boy cry. If it had been like the one you have pictured, may not have been so bad.
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That`s good news is that you and your family survived the Rich Hole Fire.

    By the way... Your photos are what keeps me coming back to your blog. I did take a look at "The Good Life in Virginia. I did not see enough there that would make want to follow the blog like I follow yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your Eloise looks like a darling and as for swinging bridges, I'm always fascinated and by far my best swinging bridge experience was at Kota Kinabalu, Borneo Islands...

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a swinging bridge up this way too Genie, only it really swings - I have been across it a few times and it was kinda exciting, yah :)
    Nice photos and that slanted version of the bridge that ends by ltl town of Buchanan is neat and perhaps a bit of a challenge? - and of course Eloise is cute as a button. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eloise is adorable! Thanks for sharing, I live in Virginia and didn't know about this. I've got to go check it out, it totally looks like one of those interesting pull off to the side of the road and make some road trip memories places!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not so fond of that type of bridge. I need something solid beneath my feet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen a bridge quite like this Genie, and I love it!
    These are wonderful images.
    Happy Sunday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live so close and yet have never been over to the bridge. Must check it out sometime before we up and move away from the area. Your granddaughter is VERY cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First off, I am glad the fire is under control and you are no longer waiting on evacuation orders.
    Second, I love it when people post swing bridges - but I would never go on one! Like Halcyon, I prefer more solid footings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. VERY nice! I also like the kind of swinging bridges that don't swing very much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a wonderful post, the perfect photos and the fun you and Eloise were having and the history of this amazing bridge. But of course the best thing about it is to know for sure that you are safe from that fire! Thanks for keeping us posted. We care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a neat bridge! Your Eloise is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a lovely bridge Genie! And so glad that sweet little Eloise did not have to use those shoes that she was sleeping in....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Swing bridges, and many other types are things of beauty.

    Glad to hear the subject doesn't object to your urban photo shoots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice little walking only bridge. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful news about the fire...your granddaughter is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful news about the fire...your granddaughter is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good pictures! I'm not sure I could walk across a swinging bridge. My fear of heights really kicks in when I feel unstable on my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh..and I meant to say that's good news about the fire not being a danger. How scary to have to sleep in your shoes in order to get out quickly if necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photos and such a cute model!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your model did a fantastic job! I'm jealous that she's wearing shorts though. The forecast her is for snow tonight. Please tell me they are WRONG. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. summer! Looks so great. The bridge looks sturdy enough and it has nets on the side so it is safe.

    Fire ball sounds scary. I am glad everything turned out well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for the history, Genie. I would love to walk this bridge -- with you and Eloise of course! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice pictures. Sweet little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am not good at handling a swing bridge, but I do enjoy the various designs and the scenery round them! This one has a bonus history! And Eloise is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That Eloise sure has a gorgeous head of hair! And thanks for your comments about coming to Seattle in August. It should be really super weather then and I know you'll have so much fun with your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good photos. Beautiful views in this wonderful bridge, very pretty girl.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good photos. Beautiful views in this wonderful bridge, very pretty girl. Saludos.

    ReplyDelete