Followers

Translate

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Bud’s First Day on the Long Trail ~ 8-4-11

Many of you have been asking for me to post a map of the Long Trail. There is a spare one at the house, but I will not be there until Saturday. Once I can put my hands on it, I’ll scan it and send it up to the cloud. For now here are the shots he sent back to me today ~ Day 1. I am thrilled with the quality of the iPhone...pretty amazing. He sounds wonderful, but that is because he is doing that one thing in the world he longs to do.....hike in the woods and across the mountains.

Early morning departure shot taken around 7:00AM of Killington Mountain. Bud spent the night at the Inn at the Long Trail ~ Killington, Vermont

Close to Main Junction where the Long Trail splits off from the Appalachian Trail on its way to Canada... taken around 9:30 AM.


Shot taken around 3:00 PM, on his way, hopefully, to David Logan Shelter.

The last picture Bud sent out today. He was hoping to get to the David Logan Shelter which was 8 bunks (slabs of wood) which according to my feeble calculations would have been somewhere around 12-13 miles. As you can see he has about 166 miles left to go to get the Canadian border. I’ll let you know tomorrow if he made it.


"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, 
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.”
 ~ John Muir 


This post is PROUDLY linked with Skywatch Friday. Sadly, I am not on the hike to take the pictures, but my husband is. They are all SOOC from his iPhone. If you are interested in following Bud’s journey, there are 2 earlier posts on my blog that will take you back to the very beginning.


14 comments:

  1. Only 165 miles to go --- a breeze :-)
    We can probably google the trail map. You want an arms-length self portrait , don't you? For all you know this may be a bear taking the pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya,
    This seems an interesting account of the Long Trail http://www.downthetrail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of miles. Out here we have the Pacific Crest Trail which would be a fair comparison. I always dreamed of doing it. But I am content with day hikes. That is fine with me. My hiking hat is off to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 165 more miles? on foot? hiking? thru the woods? how far can he hike in one day? I know, too many q's! sorry... but this is fascinating to me! =) I'd sooooooo love to do that... the things he'll get to see! Awesome =)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the update my friend. those iPhone shots are great. when I recently played with my friend's phone I kept snapping inadvertently and also putting my finger over the lens. they're a lot of fun. keep us posted Genie. {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  6. What would we do without all the technique we have now. You have contact and pictures. Must be great to be able to follow him in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a great place to hike and I enjoyed your shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow a 166 Miles to Canada now that is awesome. And I am thankful of the iphone ^_^ I see the great photos here. Thanks for sharing!

    Sunset reflection

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could join you there, such a great place!
    Hugs:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What some people will do just to get into Canada eh?..... LOL

    Hats off to hubby, I can understand the need to do it, but this is beyond me!...... he'll be talking about this for years!...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lot of miles to hike! Glad he has that iphone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad you are posting photos from his hike...I really like that second shot, too.

    ReplyDelete