Followers

Translate

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

signs, signs ~ 5-11-11


The Old Denmark General Store
Kerrs Creek ~ Rockbridge County, VA

Denmark Store was alive and doing well while my three children were in school...that was back in the 80’s.  It was only a mile from the house so we were always running there for bread, milk, and the likes. At the moment a gentleman has a craft store there, but I do not ever see any cars parked in front. No one seems to be able to make a go of it so far out in the country. I love the old Merita Bread sign on the side so decided to use it as my post this week. You’ve gotta love that Vitamin Enriched Merita Bread!

“I suppose I would still prefer to sit under a tree with a picnic basket rather than under a gas pump, but sign and comic strips are interesting as subject matter.”
~ Roy Lichtenstein

This post is linked with signs, signs.





12 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Merita Bread -- must be regional? Love the sign though. Sad when those old stores can't seem to compete anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great old building. I hope it continues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Love the photos and how you had a story about them...
    I hope you had a good Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The building is really cool and so is the sign.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool memory & looks like a nice place! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks in really great shape. we have a terrible little rattle-trap building that keeps trying to be a local store. just never lasts out in the boonies...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately we do love the soft, fluffy Merita bread.....lol....I hate to see small business fail but love the arrowheads on the front.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love old signs and that is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that he kept the old sign and just added his descriptions in the same style! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to visit that craft store.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great old building - I love the red trim. The old sign against the peeling paint is wonderful! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's always sad when old stores can't make it. This one is great looking and I love the Merita bread sign.

    ReplyDelete