Followers

Translate

Thursday, May 26, 2016

5-26-16 ~ North Mountain during a Break from the Rain



For a few hours on Monday, the skies opened up, and Buddy raced to take me up on North Mountain to see the rhododendron and mountain laurel. We did not climb on the mountain...only drove to the first overlook before it started to sprinkle again. 




I took the first two pictures through the windshield as Bud was driving up the mountain. It is amazing to me that the glass can be so yucky but still allow a clear shot. The variation in the lighting as we drove around the curves is so interesting.








 These three pictures were shot from the overlook.  We were looking into what Bud calls  " The Great Valley of Virginia" towards the Blue Ridge Mountains. The last shot is of Lake Robertson, a favorite place for fishing, camping, birders, hiking, family reunions, and they even have a swimming pool.



Mountain Laurel

 Rhododendron


Unknown with Lots of Spikes on Stems


Purple, Pretty, Unknown



Before we got back into the car, I could not resist taking a picture of the rain coming down on the bubble at the door. What I wasn't expecting was to discover my bizarre reflection. My derrière leaves a lot to be desired. When I enlarged this several times my little camera became apparent so I knew it was moi.











18 comments:

  1. The Blue Ridge Mountains always sent me into the Awe Phase. I enjoyed your blog post very much this week.
    JM, IL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible views and sky! Nice to get these shot before the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I must go see the mountain laurel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely sky photos. Great clouds and trees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great views of your surroundings. Always impressed to see mountains, we don't have here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, the views of the skies and mountains are gorgeous. Love the mountain laurel, it is starting to bloom here too. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend! Happy Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning Genie, what a lovely post taken along one of my favorite drives. Wonderful photos of the mountain laurel and the other pretty flowers, gorgeous views and that reflection is a neat shot. Have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by. I always smile when I see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful photos genie! have a great memorial weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! The views of the mountains are awesome, and I love the flowers!
    Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. a great part of the world. Nice landscape and skies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We drove through the state of Virginia a few years back when we took our first grandchild on her college tour. You have such a beautiful state! And the photos today prove it too. I know what you mean about shots through the windshield. Sometimes it amazes me! Have a good Memorial Day weekend, Genie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos Genie! A variety!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous skies and mountains! Great color in the blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh the mountains are wonderful and the sky and those beautiful flowers stole my heart! That is quite a different way to get a selfie ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What beautiful photographs! I love the sky views and the flowers. I don't see you in the puddle, but I'm sure you look lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photos! I don't think I've ever seen mountain laurel in real life. :-) I had to let you know that I think of you EVERY single time I walk down the steps in stocking feet - and am very mindful and careful. Because of you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what a wonderful view into the landscape. Amazing !
    Best regards, Synnöve

    ReplyDelete