Followers

Translate

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Bud’s Canary in the Cave Race ~ 2015

Welcome to Bud’s Latest Race
Canary in the Cave
Fayetteville, West Virginia

The night before the race, Bud took me to a Cajun restaurant...YUMMY!

The other side of this sign reads FINISH.

Runner Waiting in Red


Runner Waiting in Orange

Runner and Daughter Waiting in Blue

Father and Daughter
(** If you can’t tell it already, I love to take pictures of braids.)


 All of the following shots are of little Ina. Her mother was running  in the race, and she and her daddy were waiting. I watched her before the race, and then I ran into her again when I went to lunch. She is almost two and the most precious and animated little girl you have ever seen...and very well behaved :-)

I’m ready for this race to begin.

Oops...how am I gonna get over this yellow thing
 to get to my mommy?
Well, I did it!

Thanks,Mommy, for the drink. 
All that running around made me thirsty.

I do not like this hat. It has to go!

Here her daddy and I were trying to get her to pick out two jelly thingies that went together. I have to admit she did pretty well at first, and then she decided it was way too hard and proceeded to put them all into the bowl.

This is the Cathedral Cafe where Ina, her daddy, and I were eating while waiting. Great food. It is an old church, and inside the light comes through all of the old stained glass windows onto the floors. Gorgeous. Did not realize the reflections until I uploaded the photo to the blog.

O.K. It Is Time For the Race
And it is is off. 5 hours to run about 17 miles...
25K plus some more trail to finish.



While looking at the runners taking off, I spied this Jeep 
with reflections on the hood  so just had to take pictures of it.

 The residents used the walking track all during the race. 
For some reason I named this lady, The Bag Lady.
While I was there she went around two times with bag in hand. Heaven only knows how many more time she walked it. She is definitely a woman on a mission.


This lady was walking the dogs while her husband ran the race.
She and I chatted for the longest time. All the people there were so cordial and nice.


 
This was where I waited for Buddy to come out of the woods.
The shadows in this part of the forest were absolutely gorgeous.


 
Here came my Buddy.
He was almost out and at end of race.
Woo!Hoo!

Here he is almost to the pavement with me screaming....”Faster...faster, Buddy, pick it up!!!!
Time is running out. You can do it, Bud."

 Here he is coming into the Finish Line


Buddy paid for the use of this picture of him at the finish line. If you enlarge it or look real hard, you can see me following him from behind still yelling for him to “Hurry Up!". I did not have to make the time limit so I am just puttering along... but he did and he did it. 



And here he is with me...The Finish Line
4 hours~59minutes~08 seconds
The race had a 5 hours limit.  God bless Bud...
he made it in the nick of time!
Thank you, Dan, for taking this picture of us.
I saved the best photo until last. I just love it. 
Just look at that grin on Buddy’s face and his 
“lucky sherpa hat" on his bald head.  

Our friend, the one and only Dan Leaman.
He was the “Commandant” at “The Trilogy” 3 day 
competition at Spruce Knob, West Virginia last month.
Next year I hope to be a rest station volunteer
and on the last day attempt to walk the 5 mile race. 
We shall see.

FINALLY,  FOOD for the WEARY!
Many Pizzaa, even Gluten Free Pizza, Kettle Chips, 5 Carrot   Cakes, and Soft Drinks ~ After pigging out, we got back in the car and drove the three hours back to Lexington. Bud and I had a blast.

Now to get ready for next weekend at Rocky Mount, VA.
Crooked Road 24 Hour Race
This time I will stay at home sweet home.

This post is linked to:

 Blue Monday 
Our World Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday Too
Signs, Signs



33 comments:

  1. That's what you call in the nick of time - well done Bud!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad Bud fisnished the race in time, looks everybody had a good time there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Genie,

    What an interesting post. Thanks for making me feel as if I'd run along with you.

    Happy Blue Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was cutting it close. I would have been worried that all the pizza, carrot cake and soda pop would be gone. Tell Buddy "Good job" for me. Its all I can do to just hike (walk) 25K these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for Buddy! It's not what number you came in, it's that you finished the race!
    Great shots too -- love that little cutie! It looks like she really entertained you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good times at a trail run. That is kind of short max time for a 25K if you ask me. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I love the braids too! Come over and see my Blue post featuring Sally. Come and vote for Blue Monday.
    Go Team Sally!
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos, and a great accomplishment.
    Hope you'll come link up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/11/sunset-on-bay.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankk you for that great story. I felt like I joined in except that was sat at my PC and never got out of breath once! Well done to Bud although maybe he deserved a cold beer after that run.

    Why is it "Canary in the Cave"?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a grand event with beautiful weather. Adore the photo of you and Bud together. Such joy between you. And the runner in orange looks stunning with those braids as a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great day for all of you!! I do love all your photos!! The little one is adorable!! Thank you for sharing the fun, as always!! Hope you have a great week, Genie!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YOU HAD A GREAT DAY AND i LOVE THE LITTLE CUTEY

    ReplyDelete
  13. YOU HAD A GREAT DAY AND i LOVE THE LITTLE CUTEY

    ReplyDelete
  14. now that is the kind of restaurant i wanna try. i bet it has some great awesome food. has your hair gotten longer? maybe it is time for a braid or two. have a great week. i keep meaning to measure my head but then i forget until i drop by our blog ... poohy. need to do that. take care. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a racer he is and what great support from you and all the racers, you are really like a big family! I cannot marine running for five hours! ( or who Ian kidding, even for one! ). I love your people shots ..l that bag lady is funny , she needs a smaller purse. ( I remember various older ladies , aunts and neighbors, from when I was a kid who always sat with their big purse on their lap, as if it was a part of their body they couldn't let go of).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Genie, It is good to be on my computer again and reading your comment. This post is so much fun. I feel like I was at the race. Smile. I can't even imaging running 25 miles. Your Bud is amazing. I love all of your pics and race story but the one of you and Buddy is a treasure. Thank you for sharing your long wonderful race adventure.

    xo,
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoy the pics of the day...and congrats to Buddy for finishing in time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a amazing run. The kid is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I admire prole that can run or do any exercise. I used to but got out of the habit and hard to get back.The little, precious child stole the show tho.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is quite a set of images, but I think I like the Cajun restaurant best. Thanks for stopping by Driller's Place and your kind comments. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful family you have :) Very nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  22. these are wonderful photos genie, i enjoyed them all! yay for buddy and how nice that you made lots of new friends while waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely photos; have a nice Tuesday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like it was an event for you to make some friends too. :)
    Lovely pictures -- of the little cherub, the reflections and that of the light and shadows in the woods too.
    Oh, and congratulations to Buddy. :)
    I hope you guys are having a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well, congratulations! That was close!

    ReplyDelete
  26. 25k Gosh I couldn't even run 5k without a heart attack taking me out. Buddy did a great job. I really like the Gator on the Gumbo's sign.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Way to go Bud!
    Great photos of the event Genie.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I could definitely go for some Cajun food - yum!
    Hope to see you at this week's Wordless Wednesday (on Tuesday):
    http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/11/chicago.html

    ReplyDelete