Followers

Translate

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Indian Rocks on Blue Ridge Parkway

Indian Gap
Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia
January 2, 1012


When you walk up the path , you have no idea of what is in store for yourself. There is a huge what seems like circular area of the biggest rocks I have ever seen. They would make a professional basketball player look like a short little child. Even if it did feel like 10 degrees below zero up there in the wind, it was worth the agony, and I cannot wait to return with our picnic basket, camera, and a quilt.  To me the rock all have Indian-like faces to them. Maybe that is how they became called Indian Rocks. Go to this site to see some photos of the area. The article says the origin of the name in unknown. 
http://www.cnyhiking.com/BRP-IndianGapTrail.htm




This post is linked with:


9 comments:

  1. Looks like an interesting place to hike too. The rocks are similiar to a place here called Wolf Rock in Thurmont, Md. Great photos. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those rocks do look pretty amazing! and huge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are great.. I love the black and white on the rocks and mountains.. as always great shots!
    Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like your editing on these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They really are huge! I'm glad you added a person in one of them to give an idea of just how big. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genie...I love these rocks....more than I can express.
    We have a home in the Appalachians (Western NC)...and this looks so much like the terrain there. It's our home away from home that we go to in the spring, summer and fall. We haven't attempted a winter stay (yet!) :))
    It's a small world, my friend. Yes, it is. I read your comment on my blog and realized just how small it is. I'm glad that I found your blog. I love photography, and your photos are splendid.
    I am a Nana of four...live in South Georgia...received my undergraduate and graduate degrees from Valdosta (at the time it was Valdosta State....and since has become Valdosta University.) I taught for 36 years here in our county schools before completely retiring...but think that chalk dust will always be in my veins.:)))
    Thank you so much for visiting me and for your lovely comments. I hope to be able to visit you often. It has been nice meeting you through blogging.
    You are a wonderful photographer. I am in the learning process. I have a long way to go, but am enjoying the journey.
    Hugs and smiles,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great series of photos. The rocks are fantastic but I especially like the distant views in the first few photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those are huge! Love the B and W photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. fantastic post...great shots! and the place itself looks fascinating. great to see such wonderful places.

    Cheers,
    Saturday Sareenity

    ReplyDelete