Followers

Translate

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Sunday Bridges ~ 5-15-11

The following is a series of photos taken in March of this year while we were driving the nearby counties searching for interesting sites to photograph. The Buchanan Swinging Bridge has the original pilings built in 1851. It is 366 feet long and 57.5 feet tall and the only bridge of its type across the James River. It was originally a covered bridge called the Buchanan Turnpike Company Toll Bridge. On June 13, 1864, Confederate General McCausand burned it to prevent the Union troops from crossing the James River on their march south to Lynchburg. They had already burned Virginia Military Institute and occupied Lexington, Va, the town outside of which we live. Following a series of replacement bridges, the present one was constructed in 1939 on the original pilings. 



This gives you a good picture of the pilings.

The car bridge is on the left.

Who in his or her right mind would even think about taking a motorized vehicle on this bridge. The car bridge entry is on the right.

Here is Buddy starting across. It is very sturdy and does not bounce and sway. It is the only swinging bridge I have ever walked across that did not frighten me. It is a wonderful bit of history still in use on a daily basis.

"I never wanted to set the world on fire. 
So I never had to burn any bridges behind me.”
~Dinah Shore




This post is linked to Sunday Bridges

24 comments:

  1. Lovely old bridge! Thanks for the history, always makes the photos even more interesting and you did get some great captures. Looks like a beautiful day with lots of sun and shadows! Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Genie!!


    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing bridge!
    Beautifully captured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a fascinating and beautiful bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have all three memes nicely covered here. This is a lovely footbridge, and I especially like the high sat colors in your top photo. But in Asia you'd see all manner of motorized vehicles on it... small motorbikes, electric bicycles... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks wobly, but I am glad it is steady, I am afraid of those swinging bridges!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat bridge! I enjoyed reading the info on it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really find some neat sights. We went across a swinging bridge over a gourge at Grandfather Mtn. It was really scary and I had to go back. Guess I was a chicken...lol....

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least you don't have too far to fall...I remember going across the highest in Colorado [Royal Gorge Bridge] and took two steps out, looked down, and went back on LAND!!

    Mission Bells in Shadow

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it maybe doesn't swing that much, but I would still feel as if a little drunk walking across it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. a non-swayinng hanging bridge. now that's a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Swing bridges scare me to death but I love your photos! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really interesting, and your photos show it well. I can imagine people trying to take motorcycles over it! I wouldn't, though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how you've captured the shadows on the last shot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice shots Genie. Love the reflection in the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The bridge is beautiful and it does look like normal bridge when I compare it with Poring Canopy walkway!

    TQ for commenting on my blog post Poring Canopy Walkway Bridge

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks so rickety that I am amazed it doesn't swing or sway. It is very picturesque, though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol, you gotta love that sign! It looks far more rickety from a distance than it really is...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow... The twisted bridge is very impressive... Cool reflections !

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks risky to me though. But I trust you on the sturdy part. I like the shape of it. It is a bridge you can look at many times and find new details I think.

    Thanks for the nice comments at my place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is an awesome bridge, Genie. Terrific find!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a nice looking place abd a cool bridge! I like the reflections and I also like the shadows on the bridge.

    ReplyDelete